Honeybee and Native Bee
Due to COVID 19 and restrictions, our course numbers will be limited and only accessible to residents of NSW.
Explore the basics of Beekeeping from one of the Mid North Coast’s most experienced Natural Beekeepers.
Join us at the bee sanctuary with Steven and his family, including honey extraction and tasting, an intimate bee experience and learning materials. We will cover:
- Beekeeping on the mid north coast
- Understanding the intimate life of a Honeybee
- Biology of the Honeybee
- The Importance of Natural Comb
- Getting Set-Up for Beekeeping: Buying bees, hives & equipment
- Site and Forage Assessment
- Forms required for keeping bees
- Situating beehives in urban areas – backyards & rooftops
- Handling bees gently and confidently
- Ensuring the ongoing health of your colony
- Pests & Diseases
- Raw honey & comb harvesting techniques
- Products of the hive
- Honey appreciation
- Planting a Bee-friendly garden
Expressions of Interest for our our course s can be sent through email link below.
In this workshop, scientist and educator Dr Tim Heard will teach you the basics of working with and observing native bees. He will entertain and educate you at the same time. This workshop alternates between slide presentations and a practical session to build a strong foundation of knowledge and experience.
The stunning slide presentation will cover the topics of:
- bee nesting biology
- bee foraging biology
- diversity of wild bees
- importance of bees in natural systems
- traditional stingless beekeeping around the world
- modern stingless beekeeping in Australia
- using stingless bees for pollination of gardens and farms
- sugarbag honey and its properties
- rescuing bees threatened in the wild, and more.
In the practical session of this workshop, we will open a hive and observe the amazing structures within. We will divide the hive into two halves showing the process of colony propagation
If you are a resident, visiting or staying in the Nambucca Valley we can design an experience to suit the individual or group including the following:
- Introduction to Beekeeping courses
- Advanced Beekeeping techniques
- Native Bee workshops
- A tailored “bee” experience
- Beeswax wraps, mead, cosmetic and fermenting workshops
- Apiary and farm tours
- Accompanying “honey” inspired meals